10.30.2012

cooking adventures in Italia...


Sorry this post doesn't have any sketching in it but I wanted to share the other thing I've been doing lots of in Lucca. 

I've been cooking... a lot. It's been really nice having a little apartment to come back to at the end of the day with some super fresh produce and make some dinner. I love going out here too, the restaurants are incredible but I'm trying to take advantage of having a kitchen to myself and amazing markets just down the street. It's also pretty hard to resist cooking with a view like this. 

There's been mostly pasta dishes happening and I made a big batch of gnocchi the first week. I found some zucchini blossoms last week to stuff and fry. And there's been lots of improvising with leftover bits too. 

Gnocchi night!
Fresh zucchini blossoms stuffed with ricotta and rosemary
Fried glory...
Pappardelle pasta
My friend and I translated this recipe from a La Cucina Italiana magazine. It was called "6 P's" The 6 P's were patate, papardelle, proscuitto, prezzemolo, Parmigianao Reggiano and pepe.  
Fall also decided to show up while I was in Venice/Bologna, and it is pretty damn cold! Which scares me because it's only going to get colder. Okay okay, I know it's not that cold, especially for Italy standards. But when you're from California and it was in the 70's a week ago and then suddenly you're wearing scarves/beanies and double socks, it's cold! 

In an effort to save money, I'm trying to go as long as I can without turning the heaters on. So I needed something to make/do today to keep warm and keep occupied while the weather outside is a bit gloomy. Enter, tortelloni! I've been pretty intimidated to make pasta from scratch but this morning it seemed like the time had come. I used Kerry's recipe from Yum and Yummer and it was really easy to follow and make. A giant batch has left plenty for me to eat during these next few weeks. Yum! 
Flour + eggs = pasta!
Couldn't find a rolling pin...an empty wine bottle worked just fine!
Sfoglia rolled out and ready to stuff/fold
They're a little fat and funny looking but ooooh so good! 
Edit: I think I just polished off about 20 of these beauties... probably shouldn't have done that but it was the perfect way to start a food coma on this cold fall night! 
My little gems!

6 comments:

  1. so jealous of your view and those beautiful windows that open into your kitchen---i love making pasta from scratch too, its completely cathartic, though yours looks much more eloquent than mine ever really turns out. how do you preserve leftovers for weeks at a time, do you freeze your pasta?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, pasta making is completely cathartic! I'm actually surprised I don't do it more often, I guess that's why I sketch so much!

      For gnocchi, I've found it's best to save them uncooked, super floured and in zip lock bags. Usually best to bag them in batches of a serving or two because it's really a pain to chip apart little frozen potato cubes. Then either defrost them all the way and cook normally or cook frozen with a little extra time for them to cook all the way through.

      Tortelloni...I'm not sure yet. I might try the same way. We'll see how they taste after being frozen!

      Delete
  2. I gained a pound or two just reading this. Quick, submit the zucchini blossoms and totelloni pics to foodgawker if you haven't already... edible art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I gain a few more just thinking about it all. Can I submit them to foodgawker if it's just pics and not a recipe? Curious...I submit to craftgawker but never tried the food version. Perhaps...

      Delete
    2. hmm, I don't know the answer to that. Crafts don't necessarily need tutorials, so maybe food pics don't need recipes? Worth a try! (And then submit your sketches to CG while you're at it. :))

      Delete
    3. Okay, it's worth a shot! Just sent to food, and CG as well! Thanks for the push Ann :)

      Delete

Comments! I love comments!