11.07.2012

l'autunno...

These walls...this light...I swoon...
I have a confession...I cheated on Terzo today! *gasp* I'm still pretty shocked that I did...

So, an explanation... For some reason this morning, after an epic stormy night of rain, hail, insanely loud thunder, lightening and a power outage, I woke up wanting to make some watercolor postcards. The purpose of them being specifically to sell in my Etsy shop as originals (or on ShopLocket...I'm slowly exploring that avenue) since I won't dismantle Terzo and sell those pages off. Or at least to have a collection of smaller pieces that will be easier to make prints of. Not too bad of an idea...or so I thought...

I did my chores around the apartment then headed for the art store, purchased a block of Fabriano watercolor paper the size of postcards, then went straight for the Amphitheater. I did a quick one there before I felt bad about working outside of Terzo. I then relocated across town to make a watercolor in my fat beast to apologize for cheating on him. 

But then this afternoon, I went up on the walls (oh the walls!) to watercolor the fall leaves. This is probably my first time actually watercoloring a real Autumn. The color changes don't really happen in California, at least not to this degree. It's kind of scary how pretty the trees are right now. So, in the midst of painting another postcard, that at the beginning I had every intention of selling, I was paid probably the nicest complement I've ever received by the sweetest little Italian man who is a musician here in Lucca. And lone behold, by the time I was finished with the postcard, I was too in love with it to even think about selling it. Oops. 
I'm in LOVE with this postcard/moment...sigh...
I'm not sure how this project will go, especially if I get too attached to every piece to even consider selling them. If nothing else, it's more practice on a smaller scale. Here's the work from today, as well as Firenze work yesterday. I'll be making another trip to Castiglion Fiorentino tomorrow so I will likely not update until Monday or so. A dopo...

I fell in love with that little patch of light on the corner of that building tucked in the dark alley...
The dreaded Duomo facade! That I will never be able to call "finished"
The b/w on the left is my favorite sculpture under the Loggia dei Lanzi in Piazza della Signoria.

4 comments:

  1. i love that you have such an intimate relationship with Terzo, and i love the idea of you selling sweet little watercolor postcards. glad you are getting to enjoy a "real" season of fall, the colors of autumn are seriously mesmerizing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha it sounds pretty ridiculous huh? I usually travel alone so my sketchbooks end up becoming something more than just an object to me I guess. We will see if I can actually make some postcards I'll be willing to sell! These colors are too good not to document...

      Delete
  2. These are all so beautiful! Your autumn leaves make me miss living in Massachusetts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Esther! I'm going to be on a constant search for leaves this brightly colored every year from now on!

      Delete

Comments! I love comments!