Hard to believe that it is technically still the day that I left, and yet so much time has passed...yet not according to my watch. Boh. Westbound travel is always mind-boggling, how you kinda sorta time travel a bit...wibbly wobbly timey whimey...
Back to Italy! My last night in Rome was incredible! The lovely and talented Gina Gomez gave me a list of things to do and places to eat for the perfect last night. And it was rather perfect. I checked in then cruised over to the Colosseum to sketch. Then wandered through my favorite corner of Rome to the Pantheon to sketch some more. I then cruised to Piazza Navona for another sketch and an Aperitivo!
After my last Spritz, I went to check out the dinner spot. Unfortunately it was closed, and so was my back-up! Italy in August, it's to be expected. Luckily I found a small tasty spot around the corner. I finished up the night getting gelato from Gelateria del Teatro and enjoying it on the Ponte San'Angelo. Fiori di Lavanda e Pesca Bianca con Albicocca. Lavender with white peach and apricot. YUM. A lovely finish to a lovely, damn near perfect summer.
Here's some of my favorite photos from my last days in Italy! I'll be scanning like a fiend this weekend to get ready for a shop update, hopefully the 2nd week of September. Stay tuned!
1. My friend Simonetta drove me out to the Ponte della Maddalena (aka the Devil's Bridge). Definitely a good one to cross of the sketching bucket list!
2. We then drove back up these tiny little road tucked into the mountains north of Lucca. I would move into this decrepit little house in a heart beat.
3. Barga quickly became one of my new favorite towns in Italy. Winding streets with incredible views...
4. One last photo of Siena! I love how the Duomo just peeks up above all the terracotta streets.
5. The streets of Lucca were SO quiet on Ferragosto, it was lovely!
6. The other night in Lucca was Notte Bianca. My talented friend Vanessa Peters and I took advantage of it and took to the streets to play some music and sketch.
7. Wandering through the streets of Rome and I found my favorite photo of the summer. A Fiat 500 and a cat. Quickest way to my heart.
8. Sketching one of my favorite spaces in the world, the Pantheon in Rome! Perfect way to end a summer.