11.25.2019

Introducing Art Studio Confessions

As part of trying to post more and share some things I've learned over the past 8 years of growing my business, I wanted to start a series of blog/Instagram posts called Art Studio Confessions.

These posts will share some insights into how my business has evolved and deep dives into how I learned (or am still learning) firsthand how to run a business. These posts will also talk about the ugly stuff that most businesses don't seem to want to address on social media. Working with little space and/or funds. The steps I took that made it a business and not a hobby. Pros and cons of collaborating and business partners. Contracts. All those less fun topics that are incredibly necessary when you want to create a thriving business. I am by no means an expert in any of these areas but I still would like to share the things I've learned over these past years to hopefully help others who are just starting out or maybe just want a peek into how others do it and want to start a conversation.



I also want to share some of my sources and favorite supplies for running a stationery business out of your home. For some reason in this industry there seems to be an odd veil of silence over our sources and supplies...as if you need to validate your business/struggle by trying things out that many of us learned many steps ago are inferior. So I will also be sharing my favorite printers, paper, envelope suppliers and more to hopefully help others that are starting their own stationery lines learn from my mistakes and missteps over the years

I shared my first behind the scenes peek on Instagram at my studio which has everything AND the kitchen sink...because it's in the kitchen. It felt nice to share what I usually crop just out of the frame and be more open about where I'll be working and calling home for a while.



If you have suggestions of things you'd like me to discuss or want to share your own confessions, feel free to share with the hashtags:
#artstudioconfessions#confessionsfromthemaker and #confessionsfromtheartist.

2 comments:

  1. When you are commissioned, what percentage of payment do you ask for up front? And do you ask for final payment before sending the project?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Terri! I was trying to put together a bigger post to respond to this question but it's taking longer than I expected. I usually request 25% up front that I invoice via PayPal. The remainder is invoiced when I finish the project and it includes shipping at that time (if needed) so they have to pay in full before I ship the project. I hope this helps!

      Delete

Comments! I love comments!