3.21.2020

Art Studio Confessions: Surviving (and loving) craft markets

It's been a long journey from my first craft fair back in 2013. A LONG journey with many missteps, sunburns, profitless weekends and disappointing markets.

I wrote a blog post in 2016 about the changes I had made to my booths just over those 3 years. Now it's 2020 and while I'm still tweaking my booth with every market, I more or less have a system now for how I arrange my booth and prep for making every market a success. Or at the very least, enjoyable!



The photo above is from my last Holiday market of 2019 in San Jose and I loved this set up! Compared to the photo below of one of my first markets, my booths have come a long way.


I have a LONG list of tips I've learned over the years below and a big checklist at the very bottom of the post. If you just want the checklist, here's the link to it here but I hope you'll read on for more tips and tricks!

I also compiled an Amazon list of lots of items I've used over the years so here's a shortcut for your market prep shopping!

Tip 1: Invest in quality equipment.
I'll admit, when I was first starting out, I didn't have a lot of spare money to spend on market supplies. A canopy, weights, tables, chairs, table clothes and display items all add up very quickly! I borrowed from friends and family for quite a few of my first markets (which made for a very eclectic display) until I had enough money to buy my own equipment. Spending a bit more on higher quality items ensured I wouldn't be replacing tables or canopies in just one season. I still use the same folding tables and wagon! So save up to buy the better canopy, the sturdier tables and the more reliable wagon.

Tip 2: Do your homework.
Research your potential market's online presence and even reach out to past vendors to get their opinions. Stalk the market's Instagram and check their tagged photos by previous vendors to find them! I'm very open to people asking about the quality of a market and I find most fellow vendors are just as forthcoming with information about their experiences, both the good and the bad.

Doing your homework also includes researching your location within the market. If you're doing the market solo...request a spot closer to the restrooms and food. If it's outside, consider which way the sun will pass over you so you're not baking in your booth or melting any perishable products. Plan your booth layout to provide shade for your customers so your booth is inviting on a hot day. And also make sure you plan for neighbors who may have unsightly booths...I always bring my booth walls so I can block out the back of my booth and any messes around me. Always check the weather too to see if you should bring extra weights to hold your booth down in the wind!

Tip 3: Don't procrastinate your prep. 
Oh man, I'm still guilty of this one. These days I can more or less get everything done the week leading up to the market but I will inevitably leave something to the last minute. That said, I try to make sure in the two weeks before a market I have a plan for when I'm going to do things on my checklist (link at the bottom) to get more change, check and restock inventory, and load my car in advance. It's NO fun being up til 2 am the night before a market loading your car in the dark with last minute inventory.

Tip 4: Learn from every market.
Take lots of photos so you can revise your floor plan and display layout for the next time or replicate your display again. Don't be afraid to change things up mid-market either!

What if you're not selling an item? Take a step back and ask yourself why this might be...is it the demographic of shoppers, or just a bad weather day so turn out is low. Or is there something inherently wrong with your product?

At a slow market? Study who is walking the aisles...if there's lots of mom's with kids, consider if you have items that they'd want to buying. Put yourself in your shoppers' shoes and see what gaps you could fill in their shopping experience at a future market.

Tip 5: Come with a good attitude, and keep it through the weekend. 
I try to make friends with my neighbors, or at the very least get their names. I often do my markets solo and it's helpful to have a person nearby I can ask to keep an eye on stuff while I run to the restroom. Even if the weather sucks or I have bad sales, I sure as hell make sure any potential customers don't know that I'm feeling crappy. You can make small talk about the crappy weather, of course, but no customer wants to feel guilted into buying anything. Your demeanor may effect any other sales they might make in the market so don't screw over your fellow vendors with a bad attitude.

Part of keeping a good attitude is keeping my expectations in check. At my very first market I sold one card, which wasn't even enough to make my measly $10 booth fee back. It was crushing. While there's nothing wrong with being hopeful, I wasn't being realistic. In hindsight, I should have checked my expectations since it was a cheap market...in a Whole Foods parking lot in Santa Barbara. The demographic of shoppers weren't coming for me, they just passed by on the way to their errands.

Even though it was a bad market, I still didn't pack up early. A bad market is NOT an excuse to pack up early! It drives me crazy seeing vendors bail early, I always feel we're all in it together, good sales or bad. And bailing early ensures you won't be invited back.

Have any other tips for surviving and loving markets?  Leave a comment below! 
Need a list to get your started for your market prep?  Click the image below to download my own market checklist!
What should you buy? We have a list of some of our favorite market supplies on Amazon right here!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments! I love comments!