3.20.2013

shrinkie dinks from to-go boxes

You read that right...shrinkie dinks from to-go boxes. To be exact, #6 plastic to-go boxes. I've seen this all over Pinterest and the interwebs lately but I've always been skeptical of it. But I really wanted to try it with my kiddos for my up-cycle/re-cycle workshop. 

I managed to score a donation of plastic to-go boxes from my local market (my thinking, even if they don't work then at least they were free!). I cut out all the flat square panels from the top and bottom of the boxes for the kiddos, so in class all they had to do was draw and cut out their shapes. Then a quick 3 minute cook in the oven on a tin-foiled cookie sheet at 350*...and guess what...they really freakin' work! Just like the shrinkie dink kits! They were fun to watch because they curl up as they shrink then flatten out again just as they're finishing cooking. 

I made one to test out first, just in case these turned into a burning mound of melted plastic...
Shrunken! This is now on my keychain! 
Some of the kiddos' before...
And after! 
Loved this one! She made 4 little scenes on the big piece then cut them out and they still fit together after they shrunk! 

I got a little ambitious and tried shrinking half of a box whole...didn't go so well...

6 comments:

  1. Love it! I love the effect of shrinks dinks! For some reason I'm always so precious with the special plastic paper, and don't wan to "waste" it. Blah, it's messing with my creative mojo. But with this brilliant alternative I can rightfully so go crazy! Yay! Thanks for the inspiration, lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, I usually spend so much time planning what I want to draw that I lose all interest in cooking them. These work just as well and are so cheap! Hooray!

      Delete
  2. I've never done any thing with shrinkie dinks ,but I will be trying it now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just "found" you from bhrett's blog but now I have to try this! The flaw? We are on a no take out or eat out month - maybe I'll just ask at a store

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well hello! Hmm minor flaw in the project...I'd just ask a store. I looked around the deli case at one of our local markets and saw they had food packaged in-store that was the right kind of plastic. They had a ton extra and didn't even charge me for a stack so I doubt they'd charge you for just one :)

      Delete

Comments! I love comments!