2.19.2013

Miniature Bud Vase DIY

Spring is slowly making an appearance here in Southern California. Which means, spring flowers! I love when the little purpley blue Lupin flowers come back. I like to bring them in my art bubble as much as possible so I decided to make some mini bud vases. 

I've been staring at a few tiny bottles and mini perfumes I've had lying around for a while and I've been seeing tutorials all over the interwebs for painting the inside of bottles. So this is my attempt at doing that, only miniature! 

To make these, you'll need miniature bottles, acrylic paint (the fresher, the better!) and a pin!
Gather up your bottles and clean them out! Be ready to smell like a lot of different perfumes... clean with soap then let them air dry. 
Slowly drip the paint into the bottles. It's good to add a pretty decent amount so you have plenty inside to coat the sides. For bottles with a smaller opening, I found that the tip of a normal acrylic paint bottle was small enough to stick just inside the opening and slowly squeeze paint into. 
If it's a thicker paint, you can add a couple drops of water but too much water will dilute the paint and make it hard to coat the sides evenly.
Add multiple colors to get a marbled look! Twirl and rotate bottles to coat all the sides. I even resorted to covering the tip and shaking the bottles to mix the colors. 
If the paint backs up at the top opening (especially with the smaller bottles) I used a pint to push it down farther inside. A pin also helps to pop air bubbles that may surface from shaking the paint around! 
Then let them sit and dry! For runnier paints, I twirled the bottles around while they were drying to make sure the sides stayed coated with paint.
Now go outside and find some mini spring blossoms to fill your mini vases! 

12 comments:

  1. How cute! I wish we were seeing spring here - it's still nasty and chilly:(

    Josie
    FineandFeathered.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Josie! Make some anyways and use fake flowers, a pop of color may help make things look less chilly :)

      Delete
  2. What a cute project! I love it so much that I decided to feature it in our roundup of vase crafts for spring! Check it out here: http://www.favecraftsblog.com/vase-crafts-spring/

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Such a nice surprise for today!

      Delete
  3. This is such a great idea! I love that you can use bottles that would normally go to waste. I've just added your page to my StumbleUpon! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so happy other people like this idea as much as I do! And that's so nice of you to add it to your Stumble :)

      Delete
  4. What a cute project! I love it so much that I decided to feature it in our roundup of recycled bottle crafts! Check it out here: http://www.favecraftsblog.com/recycled-bottle-crafts/

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray! That's awesome! Thank you so much Julia :)

      Delete
  5. I like to make these and give them to "mom-to-be" at baby showers with a little card attached saying, "This is for the dandelions and wild flowers that little hands will give you over the years:)"

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. E 'stato così sorprendente. Grazie per le informazioni.

    www.penginapanonline.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a nice DIY Vase you have made. The vase is looking so cool with the colors. You indeed have some good color choices. I also do some DIY crafts. Check out some of the best art kits I prefer to use. They are safe to use by kids and adults.

    ReplyDelete

Comments! I love comments!